Dr.Dominik Jüstel studied mathematics and informatics at the Technical University of Munich, graduating in 2008 at the Chair for Mathematical Modeling of Biological Systems, which was also associated to the Institute for Biomathematics and Biometry at the Helmholtz Center Munich. In 2014, Dominik received his doctoral degree (Dr. rer. nat.) with highest distinction for his work on mathematical models and design problems in molecular X-ray diffraction imaging at the Chair for Analysis at TUM. After continuing this research for three more years as a postdoc at TUM, Dominik joined the Chair for Biological Imaging at TUM and the Institute for Biological and Medical Imaging at the Helmholtz Center Munich in 2017. With his group for Computation & Machine Learning at TranslaTUM, he works on quantitative multispectral optoacoustic tomography and advanced data analysis for various optical and optoacoustic imaging modalities.
Multispectral optoacoustic tomography (MSOT) is a novel medical imaging modality with optical contrast and acoustic resolution in real-time, making it an ideal method for non-invasive functional imaging. Due to its complementary contrast and similar resolution, MSOT is often combined with ultrasound in a so-called OPUS (OPtoacoustic UltraSound) system. The group for Computation & Analytics works on precise mathematical models and fast reconstruction methods for MSOT & OPUS systems, generating high-quality optoacoustic and ultrasound images that provide quantitative structural & functional data. The group also develops and implements advanced data analysis tools for various optical and optoacoustic imaging modalities to extract the medically relevant information from the raw data generated at TranslaTUM and Klinikum rechts der Isar.
- D. Jüstel, G. Friesecke, and R. D. James, Bragg - von Laue diffraction generalized to twisted X-rays, Acta Cryst A72, 190 - 196, 2016.
- D. Jüstel, The Zak transform on strongly proper G-spaces and its applications, J. London Math. Soc. (2) 97, 47-76, arXiv preprint: arXiv:1605.05168, 2018.
- H. Yang, D. Jüstel, J. Prakash, A. Karlas, A. Helfen, M. Masthoff, M. Wildgruber, and V. Ntziachristos: Soft Ultrasound Priors in Optoacoustic Reconstruction: Improving Clinical Vascular Imaging, submitted, 2019.
- K. B. Chowdhury, J. Prakash, A. Karlas, D. Jüstel, V. Ntziachristos: Characterization and correction of hand-held optoacoustic images using synthetic total impulse response, submitted, 2019.
- S. Nitkunanantharajah, G. Zahnd, M. Olivo, N. Navab, P. Mohajerani, V. Ntziachristos: Skin surface detection in 3D optoacoustic mesoscopy based on dynamic programming, IEEE TMI, 2019.
- I. Olefir, S. Tzoumas, H. Yang, V. Ntziachristos: A Bayesian Approach to Eigenspectra Optoacoustic Tomography, IEEE TMI, 2018.